Mission Teams must respect Haitian customs in order to preserve the witness of the team. Open Door Haiti asks that team members abide by the following guidelines:
1) Haitian Christians do not use tobacco; American Christians must avoid all tobacco use. To be clear, this means no tobacco use publicly or privately during this mission trip.
2) Haitian Christians are careful about their language; American Christians must keep their language respectful and clean.
3) If you wish to give a gift to a child or a new friend, please do this through your Team Leader. Gifts will be given the day we leave, and the pastor will be responsible for distributing the gifts. We do not want to perpetuate an unhealthy attitude of begging among our Haitian friends and/or obligate all future teams to bring gifts.
4) Safety requires that you stay with your group at all times. Ask your team leader for special permission to leave the compound and/or visit a Haitian friend’s home.
5) Respect the rules of your housing area.
6) Respect the authority of Team Leaders.
7) I will follow Jesus Christ’s example of love and servant leadership in all I do.